Sunday, May 1, 2011

"American Beauty" movie

  

Last 2 weeks on our collage plan class we were talking about Existentialism. As I was reading "The Humanistic Tradition" book I figured out that Existentialism is the belief in philosophy that people are responsible for their own actions and experiences, and that the world has no meaning. One of the best movies that is easily overlooked as an existential movie, American Beauty (1999) takes a very literal look at modern life and the human struggle to find contentment and meaning. When you first see the title you think, "American Beauty + rose," and then you see the movie and you think that Angela's the American Beauty, the blond cheerleader that is the secretive object of lust. But it's not Angela, it's that plastic bag. It's the way of looking at the world and seeing what incredible beauty there is in the world.
            

 The movie follows the mid-life crisis of Lester Burnham, which is the main character on the movie, a suburban husband and father who is emerging from the sleepy malaise that has come to define his life. American Beauty also takes a scathing but ultimately sympathetic look at how people can be predictable and weak. His midlife crisis involves pot smoking, lusting over his daughter's attractive friend, getting back into shape ("I want to look good naked") and the acquisition of a vintage sports car. Even his wife is not immune to this phase in her life She has lost all attraction for Lester and seeks satisfaction outside the marriage. one of the famous quote that came up in the movie is when the movie starts. When Mr. Burnham presents himself.
"My name is Lester Burnham. This is my neighborhood. This is my street. This ... is my life. I am 42 years old. In less than a year I will be dead. Of course, I don't know that yet. And in a way I am dead already."

1 comment:

  1. I like the existentialist topic that we have been talking about in class and i want to watch more movies on it. I never seen American Beauty but it seems interesting after reading your blog. you had said that "it's not Angela, it's that plastic bag" and even though i didn't watch the movie i can tell that people over look the plastic bag and will automatically think it's about angela.

    ReplyDelete